Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My Word of the Year; "Grace"

What makes people create?

It's a question that I've often asked myself, in my continual search for motivation. Is it merely the pleasure of putting a brush to the canvas, the process? Or is it seeing a project completed, the end result....the feed back? Are other's, like myself, urged forward by some hidden force, a driving desire to succeed? A compelling voice that refuses to give in, or listen to those who might say, "you'll never make a living at that." What exactly is it, that makes an artist (all creative people) feel destined to be an artist, even when it's not thought of as a financially sound occupation?

I've often wondered why my passion has always flowed through anything artistic. Surely, I could just put my efforts into calculating numbers and make great sums of money as an accountant. Why isn't that satisfying? Or, perhaps, I could become an office manager, or a customer service rep., or even teach pre-school? Sadly, I've done all of those things.....but, the compelling voice still calls, and does not let me "be". It does not let me settle into anything that does not involve painting, music, and creativity.

I was recently reading a blog by Christine Kane, a musician and song writer, who has designated December as the Word-of-the-Year Month. Several guest bloggers have commented about a specific "word-of-the-year"....a word or words that have meant something to them, influenced who they are, and what they've accomplished. I mention this, not only because I found the creative writings on Christine's blog quite insightful, but also because it brought to mind a specific word that may have meaning for me personally..... the answer to the question, "why must I create?".

Grace. It is a simple word really, and probably means different things to different people. But, for me, it signifies an inner passion, a compelling voice unwilling to surrender. It symbolizes a desire to portray that which has beauty, a willingness to share peace and tranquility. While it also upholds honesty, and an acceptance of "what will be, will be." It recognizes a divine force which compels each of us to follow a path meant only for us, no matter where that path may lead. No one knows the outcome, except Grace. Grace, is a word that has affected my life, not only in it's influence on my work, but in my ability to accept, and to be patient in finding the right path for me. It is the defining factor that keeps me on that path, despite the influences of money or opposing opinions. Grace is forgiving, if I should wander.

What is it that makes people create? I can not answer the question for anyone but myself. I only know that I must, and I do believe Grace is pulling for me.

I wish all of you a peaceful holiday season, and a successful New Year. May Grace be with you, too....in all that you do.

Happy creating!

No comments: