Wednesday, April 4, 2007

News about "Old Home Crawford"

Several months ago, on July 6, 2006, I posted an article featuring a little waterwheel in Guildhall, VT, which is located on a farm once owned by a Fred C. Crawford. The farm is often referred to as Old Home Crawford, and the waterwheel became a subject of one of my paintings, which I titled "The Old Waterwheel". Here is a link to the original article.
OLD HOME CRAWFORD

Some Background Information
The original article about the waterwheel, included a letter written by a friend of mine, John Amey, who gave me some interesting historical facts about the farm, and the Crawford family. Using the information John had provided, I decided to do a little historical research on the farm, and the Crawfords. Fred C. was well known for his work in the aeronomics and automotive industries, and was a major presence in Cleveland, OH. His father, Fred E. Crawford, was a lawyer who lived and worked in Watertown, MA. He wrote and privately published two wonderful books of memoirs, one about his father Oramel Crawford, and one about his wife, Mattie Coolidge Crawford. Mattie was an artist, and many of her beautiful water color paintings are included in the book, along with pictures of her and her family. Mattie is also decended from the same John Coolidge of Cottenham, England that is the distant grand-father of our 30th President, Calvin John Coolidge. Over the next few weeks. I'd like to share some of the exerpts and images included in the book about Mattie, and hope you will find them as interesting as I have.

Following Up on Old Home Crawford, and "The Old Waterwheel"
After posting the article, I was thrilled to receive an email from a Dr. John Thomas, Assoc. Professor of Biology, at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Dr. Thomas is the great-grandson of Mattie Coolidge Crawford, and with his permission, I'd like to share his comments about the article.

August 12, 2006
Wow I really appreciate the comments about my relatives, especially my great uncle FC Crawford. I would be happy to contribute. There are many paintings by my great grandmother Mattie that we have distributed in our family. I have several. Do you think it would interesting to post some of the work on line? There is quite a bit and I think there is a text regarding her work someplace. I will look.
Dr. John Thomas
Associate Professor of Biology
University of Michigan-Dearborn


On Sept. 11, 2006, I received an email from Alan H. Davis, Sr., a chemistry professor at Plymouth State University, here in NH.

Brenda:
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Alan H. Davis and I with my wife Susan K. Swope are currently the owners of the main parcel of the Crawford place which includes the water wheel. I picked up your e-mail message on historical tidbits. The water wheel is not currently working, but it is my intention to make it operational as soon as I get some time and money. I think I know the problem. I also have copies of the books you mentioned as well as some other things. It was interesting to read your post. The water wheel gets a lot of attention from people who stop by to take pictures.
Regards Al. And Sue

Of course, I was thrilled to hear from Alan, and to learn that he had plans to restore the mill. I wrote to inquire whether he would mind sharing information about the project as it moves forward, to which he graciously agreed. So, I do hope to have other pictures and information to post about the waterwheel, as Alan works to make it operational again.

Just before Christmas, I received a call from Alan's wife Susan Swope, also a chemistry professor at Plymouth State. Susan called to inquire about the painting of the waterwheel. I am quite honored to say that Susan purchased the painting for Alan as a Christmas gift, and that the painting is now in their private collection. I am so pleased that "The Old Waterwheel" has found a home, where it truly belongs.

The mystery of Old Home Crawford, and the little waterwheel has certainly been intriguing, and I have enjoyed this wonderful journey thus far. There is much more to tell, about the Crawfords, the Coolidges, and their lives in the north country. I do hope you'll stay tuned, and that you'll join me on this historical adventure.

Until next time,

Happy Creating!






1 comment:

J.P. said...

The Crawford family started out in Guildhall, Vt. They followed Eleazer Rosebrooks to the White Mountains, NH. Abel Crawford married Rosebrook's daughter Hannah in the latter part of the 18th century. Abel settled near the present Mt. Washington Hotel. Abel and Hannah would come to have a son Ethan Allen Crawford, this man would run the first hotel in the region, north of lake Winnepesaukee, and propel the Crawford name into history. His grave lay up on the hill behind the former Fabyan House, and I am sure he looks down upon this valley with great pride. With out he and his father Abel, and grandfather Rosebrooks, this place would never have been what it has become. I believe they are owed a great debt, for there accomplishments. Another family who served with distinction in the hotel buisness was that of Asa Taylor Barron of Quechee, VT. Asa and his sons would lift the hotel buisiness up from the boot straps, and build it into a world class destination. No other family had a greater impact on this region than the Barron's, save the Crawford's.
I feel they should be given more credit, than they have been given. Asa Barron created a dynasty that would end with his son William A. Barron, nearly eighty years after thay gained a foot hold with there aquiring the Twin Mountain House. I hope I can help to give them the credit that they truely deserve.

Thank You,
J.P. Boudreau