Sunday, June 3, 2007

The White Mountains: Then & Now

Introduction to a Historical Series on the White Mountains

My trip to the Bartlett area last year sparked my curiosity about the history of the White Mountain region, the Grand Hotels that once loomed admidst the landscape, and the artists who were an integral part of recording the images of the time.

I've been doing some research over the past year, while exploring different landmarks of the area myself. In my search for information, I've discovered some interesting "connections" and facts that I have found intriguing and worthy of mention.

Over the next several months (perhaps longer) I plan to write a series of articles reflecting on those topics as they relate to each other, while connecting the past to our world of today. To organize the articles in some form of reasonable order, I've decided to begin the series with the subjects located nearest No. Conway, and then proceed north to Jackson & Pinkham Notch, west through Bartlett & Crawford Notch, north to Jefferson, west through Whitefield, south to Littleton, Bethlehem & Franconia, south through Franconia Notch, to Woodstock & Lincoln, and east returning to Conway.
It is a loop referred to as the Multi-Notch Mountain Loop, and is similar to the regional order presented in the White Mountain Artists Exhibition, still on display at the NH Museum of History, in Concord.

There is much to write about, with much to explore. I have several topics of interest to investigate as I begin this journey, interweaving tidbits of historical mystery, with the many artistic contributions from our past and present.

1 comment:

J.P. said...

Hello,
My family was involved in the operation of the grand hotels of the White Mountains, NH. I think it is a great thing that you are doing, in educating people on the rich history of the area, and the people that made it so. I have a great deal of artifacts and knowledge pertaining to this area, and would be glad to help you in any way that I can. The Crawfords were an integral part of the history of the Whites, and there memory will live with in me, as long as I am on this earth. My family took up the reins from the Crawford's and Fabyan's, yet with out there courage and fortitude, they would not have had the opporotunity to do so.Thank you for your blog, I hope we can be of assistance to you.

Regards,
Jean-Paul Boudreau